The Apache Software Foundation
Community > Code
Mentoring: First Patch ¶
A beginner’s first patch on a project can be an intimidating and frustrating experience. Clearly documenting the entire process from checkout to accepted patch greatly lowers the barrier for a new contributor, and makes it more likely that they’ll come back for their second patch.
Here’s some tips on how to do that.
- Talk to the project first
- Make sure it’s wanted/welcome
- See if there’s already work in progress, or suggestions
- Find someone to be your advocate
- Finding the source
- Writing a good commit message
- Following up on your pull request
- Learning from your struggle: Improving the documentation