The Apache Software Foundation
Community > Code
Apache Event @ Tsinghua University, Beijing, China - Embracing The Apache Open Source CommunityPublished on Monday, Nov 25, 2019 by sharan
Apache Event @ Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, Nov. 9, 2019
The Way of Open Source Lecture Series - Embracing The Apache Open Source Community
- The All-in-one video of the Apache Event - Embracing the Apache OSS Community (Panel Discussion included): https://youtu.be/vDc7nUb7V0w
- Craig’s talk, The Apache Way : https://youtu.be/JZbR5vW7oL0
- Junping Du’s talk (in Chinese), The practice of enjoying Apache : https://youtu.be/cCQ52QPtZ_s
- Willem Jiang’s talk (in Chinese), Getting Started: How to join an Open Source project: https://youtu.be/Ly54ckucpmE
- Liang Zhang’s talk (Chinese), Apache ShardingSphere Community’s Exploration and Expansion: https://youtu.be/V-ZX1onkFhQ
Session slide decks:
- Craig’s slides: https://www.slideshare.net/jixuan1989/craig-the-apache-way
- Junping Du’s slides: https://www.slideshare.net/jixuan1989/the-practice-of-enjoying-apache
- Willem Jiang’s slides: https://www.slideshare.net/jixuan1989/willem-ning-jiang-getting-started-how-to-join-an-open-source-project-apache-event-in-tsinghua-2019
- Liang Zhang’s slides: https://www.slideshare.net/jixuan1989/practice-of-building-apache-sharding-sphere-iincubator-community
- Xiangdong’s slides: https://www.slideshare.net/jixuan1989/from-a-student-to-an-apache-committer-practice-of-apache-io-tdb
Apache Event @ Tsinghua University, Beijing, China - Embracing The Apache Open Source Community
November 9, a cold sunny Saturday morning, the Apache Event, “Embracing The Apache Open Source Community” was held in the lecture hall on the fourth floor of the New Hydraulic Engineering Building of Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. The Event is also the second edition of “The way of open source” Lecture Series hosted by School of Software, Tsinghua University and NELBDS lab in China. The Lecture Series about Open Source is an initiative of School of Software, Tsinghua University contributing to open source innovation and implement the national innovation development strategy and big data action plan in the new digital economy era.
Wang Jianmin, Dean, Professor of School of software, Tsinghua University, Apache IoTDB PPMC, in his opening speech, stressed the importance of open source as a major enabling environment of collaborative innovation in software engineering. Embracing open source will have great impact under the current circumstance to the national information technology development and international collaborations among big data software experts. Tsinghua University school of software, is currently in a process of reformation and encourage students to acquire system building skills by joining and contributing to top-tier open source projects.
Craig L. Russell, Chairman of the Apache Open Source Foundation, elaborated on the Apache way of organizing open source community in his presentation, including the history of Apache, how Apache works, why the ASF works, and the process from the incubator to graduation for an Apache project. This is the second time Craig presenting the Apache principles such as “community over code” in Tsinghua, by then, he was on the post of Apache secretary.
- Junping Du, Apache Member, Apache Hadoop PMC, Chairman of Tencent Open Source Alliance, introduced the Apache practice for engineers.
- Ning Jiang, Apache Member, Apache ServiceComb PMC, Director of Huawei Open Source Capability Center, gave a very gentle and inspiring tutorial for novice of open source projects.
- Liang Zhang, Apache ShardingSphere PPMC, a mathematician from JD.com Mathematics Department, shared the great experience of joining the open source community and the exploration of Apache Shardingshpere project.
- Xiangdong Huang, Apache IoTDB PPMC, a fresh new faculty member of Tsinghua University, host of the event, shared his experience of growing from a young student to an open source project backbone, and the Objective of Apache IoTDB project, which invites interested college students to join.
At the end of the activity, Lin Liu, Associate Professor with Tsinghua University, Junping Du, Craig Russell, and Ted Liu (Apache Member and head of Kaiyuanshe) shared their views during their panel discussion on “open source education from the perspective of universities, enterprises, foundations and society”.
Duo Zhang, Apache HBase VP, from Mi.com, Zhongyi Tan, Apache BRPC PPMC, from Baidu, Liang Zhang from JD.com, Ning Jiang from Huawei, Qipeng Li, Apache RocketMQ PMC, from Ali shared their views during the panel discussion on “open source experience and work”. There also active discussions inspired by questions from the audience. Lunch were severely delayed till 13:15, leaving Craig running for the airport without finishing his first slice of Pizza in a cafeteria on the campus. Around 150 students and faculties from Tsinghua University, Beijing University of Posts and telecommunications, and other universities attended the activity.
“I wish you all the best as you learnt how to do software, and it is just important to learn how to develop software in the community. Apache is a great place to find the community that you can love. So, come with us.” Craig said.
- Introduction : https://s.apache.org/7p0gm
- Jianmin Wang https://s.apache.org/ktdxs
- Craig L. Russell https://s.apache.org/cwrwq
- Ning Jiang https://s.apache.org/96j4g
- Liang Zhang https://s.apache.org/sh0pb
- Xiangdong Huang https://s.apache.org/lkmys
- Panel discussions https://s.apache.org/q6i2z & https://s.apache.org/f27gi
- Craig signs on the flag with many Apache projects https://s.apache.org/sfosw
- Young students with Apache stickers https://s.apache.org/pvc36
- Group picture in the end https://s.apache.org/lhnsh
Written by Xiangdong Huang